- Casillas' Spain place not in danger, says Del Bosque17:53 | 21/08/2013
The national team boss has assured the Madrid shot stopper that his spot between the posts for the world and European champions is secure.
Spain boss Vicente del Bosque has made it clear that he has no plans to drop Iker Casillas from his squad any time soon following the goalkeeper’s substitute role at Real Madrid.
Casillas lost his starting berth to Diego Lopez under Jose Mourinho in 2012-13, but was widely expected to be reinstated between the sticks following the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti as Madrid’s new head coach.
Nevertheless, Ancelotti opted for Lopez as his No.1 in the Liga opener against Betis at the weekend, leaving Casillas’ future in doubt.
“Iker is a unique person and someone who’s quite special in the Spanish game,” Del Bosque told El Partido de las 12.
“Obviously, we have to keep an eye on his situation at all times, but I do not think there will be any changes for the position of goalkeeper.
“We are satisfied with the goalkeepers we have, even if one of them would go 10 games or so without playing.
“This is a matter between the club and the player. Real Madrid’s next game is the 26th versus Granada and the Spain squad announcement will be on August 30.
“But like I said, I don’t think there will be any changes regarding our goalkeepers.”
Spain take on Finland on September 5.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.