- Club Bruges to be named champions as Belgian Pro League cancelled09:37 | 03/04/2020
The Belgian Pro League is set to become the first major European league to be cancelled because of coronavirus.
Club Bruges beat Cercle Bruges 2-1 on 7 March in their last league game before football in Belgium was suspended
Club Bruges will be declared champions with the current league table set to stand.
There was one match of the regular season remaining when the league was suspended, with play-offs due to decide the top positions.
The league’s board of directors made the decision and have made a recommendation to the general assembly.
It will be made official on 15 April with a working group to decide relegation and promotion issues.
Club Bruges are 15 points clear of second-placed Gent at the top of the table.
In a statement, the league said: “The board of directors unanimously decided that it was not desirable, whatever the scenario envisaged, to continue the competition after 30 June.”
Source – BBC News
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.