- Copenhagen's Santos earns 3-match ban for police attack in Europa League tie09:34 | 16/04/2020
FC Copenhagen‘s Michael Santos has been banned for three games by UEFA for assaulting a policeman during a Europa League game at Celtic in February.
Michael Santos celebrates scoring against Celtic in Europa League. Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images
The Uruguayan forward was charged by police after he barged into an officer while celebrating Pep Biel‘s 85th minute goal in a 3-1 win over the Scottish side in the second leg of their round-of-32 tie on Feb. 27.
The policeman was looking to prevent Santos from getting any closer to away fans at Celtic Park and a Copenhagen steward was also charged with an offence by police as tempers flared.
“The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has decided to suspend. Santos for a total of three UEFA club competition matches for which he would be otherwise eligible,” UEFA said in a statement.
Copenhagen, who defeated Celtic 4-2 on aggregate, lost 1-0 in the first leg of their round-of-16 tie at Istanbul Basaksehir last month before the coronavirus pandemic forced the suspension of the competition.
Source – ESPN
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.