- Coronavirus: Italy will ask for Euro 2020 to be postponed, according to Italian FA President10:26 | 16/03/2020
Italy’s football federation will ask for Euro 2020 to be postponed over the coronavirus outbreak so they can complete the Serie A season.
Italian FA President Gabriele Gravina hopes Serie A will finish by the end of June
“We will propose to UEFA the delay of the European Championships,” Gabriele Gravina, president of the Italian Football Federation told the SportMediaset television channel.
“We will try to get to the end of this [domestic] championship because it is fairer and more correct after the many investments and sacrifices of our clubs.”
Top-flight football across Europe has ground to a halt as a result of the spread of the coronavirus, with national and continental club competitions suspended or postponed.
The Premier League and EFL have postponed all fixtures until April 4 and 3 respectively at the earliest.
Representatives of European clubs and leagues and the players will join national federations on an emergency video-conference call organised by UEFA on Tuesday.
Discussions will include Euro 2020 which is due to take place in 12 European countries, including Italy, from 12 June to 12 July.
Gravina said he hoped that Serie A could finish by June 30, although he did not rule out extending it for another month.
He also suggested that Italian clubs should not train for the time being.
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.