- David Luiz: Arsenal defender signs new one-year contract at club16:08 | 24/06/2020
Arsenal defender David Luiz has agreed a new one-year contract with the club.
David Luiz won the Premier League with Chelsea in 2016-17
Defenders Pablo Mari and Cedric Soares will also join the Gunners permanently at the end of their loan deals, from Flamengo and Southampton respectively.
Meanwhile, midfielder Dani Ceballos has extended his loan deal from Real Madrid until the end of this season.
“I am really happy that we will have these players in our squad for the future,” said the Premier League club’s technical director Edu.
“They have been part of the long-term technical plan [manager] Mikel [Arteta] and I have developed. They bring the right balance to our squad.”
Brazil centre-back Luiz, 33, joined the club from Chelsea last year but was sent off during Arsenal’s return to Premier League action, a 3-0 defeat at Manchester City, last week.
“David is a really important player for us. He has played most of our matches this season and has been important for the team,” added Edu.
“His passing, his communication with the team on and off the pitch – he helps everyone.”
Spanish centre-back Mari, 26, and Portugal right-back Soares, 28, will complete their moves when the transfer window opens next month.
Source – BBC News
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.