- Davide Zappacosta close to joining Roma on loan from Chelsea19:52 | 20/08/2019
Davide Zappacosta is close to joining Roma on a season-long loan from Chelsea, according to Sky in Italy.
Davide Zappacosta is set to join Roma on loan from Chelsea
The right-back has not featured for Chelsea this season under new head coach Frank Lampard and is surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge.
Zappacosta will undergo a medical later this week ahead of completing a move to the Stadio Olimpico.
The 27-year-old joined Chelsea from Torino in 2017 under the management of Antonio Conte and went on to feature 35 times during his debut season in England.
Zappacosta has won the FA Cup and Europa League during his time with Chelsea
He was part of the squad that won the FA Cup in May 2018, but was an unused substitute during the 1-0 final victory over Manchester United at Wembley.
Zappacosta made only four Premier League appearances last season under Maurizio Sarri, with the majority of his performances coming in Chelsea’s successful run to the Europa League title.
Does this leave Chelsea short at right-back?
Captain Cesar Azpilicueta remains Chelsea’s first-choice right-back, despite a shaky start to the new season in the 4-0 defeat away at Manchester United.
Lampard is keen to give youth a chance this campaign given the club’s transfer ban and has already handed starts to Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham.
Reece James impressed on loan at Wigan last season and there are high hopes he can become the long-term successor to Azpilicueta.
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.