- Deschamps extends France contract to 201617:29 | 20/11/2013
The 45-year-old has been rewarded for guiding les Bleus to World Cup 2014 with an extended deal that should see him remain in charge until the next European Championship
France coach Didier Deschamps has extended his contract with the national team until 2016 after wrapping up a spot at the 2014 World Cup.
The new deal comes after a stunning 3-0 win over Ukraine on Tuesday saw les Bleus overcome a 2-0 first-leg defeat to win 3-2 on aggregate and seal their berth in Brazil.
And Deschamps hailed his team’s fighting spirit under pressure, insisting that they are capable of “great things” with the World Cup now firmly on France’s horizon.
“This is the magic of football,” he said to TF1. “Four days ago, we were in a bad position but the players were fantastic tonight.
“I didn’t have doubts, and we played a huge match and this qualification is very important for French football.
“It’s a bit of a tradition that when French teams have their backs against the wall they perform and we had a lot of heart and determination. Now [that] we’ve qualified, we’re capable of some great things.”
Mamadou Sakho opened the scoring at Stade de France on 22 minutes, before Karim Benzema doubled France’s lead just before half-time. And Oleh Husyev’s own goal, with 18 minutes remaining, completed a stunning comeback.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.