- Drogba: Galatasaray can upset Real Madrid14:53 | 17/09/2013
The Cote d’Ivoire star aims to get off to a winning start against the Liga giant, although he realizes the Istanbul club faces a tough task.
Didier Drogba is hopeful that Galatasaray can upset Real Madrid in Tuesday’s Champions League encounter in Istanbul.
The Turkish champion recorded a 3-2 home win over Madrid in the quarterfinals of last year’s edition of European club football’s elite competition and even though the team was eventually beaten 5-2 on aggregate, Drogba remains optimistic about his side’s chances.
“Madrid are a great club with some great players. Football is a game of 11 against 11 on the pitch, though, so why would we not be able to spring a surprise,” he was quoted as saying by AS. “We can make our fans go crazy with the way we play. I remember last year when the Madrid players were in shock. They all told me that our fans are crazy and I think the Galatasaray supporters are the best.
“I hope that they will cheer us on against Madrid and we want to repay them with a good result. It would only be normal if we finished third or fourth in our group, but anything can happen in football. I believe in this team.”
Galatasaray will also have to deal with Juventus and Copenhagen in Group B.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.