- FIFA ban former Brazilian football president Jose Maria Marin for life09:26 | 16/04/2019
FIFA have banned former Brazilian Football Confederation president Jose Maria Marin from all football-related activities for life.
FIFA have banned Jose Maria Marin for life
A FIFA statement read: “The adjudicatory chamber found that Mr Marin had breached art. 27 (Bribery) of the FIFA Code of Ethics and, as a result, banned him for life from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international level.
“In addition, a fine in the amount of 1m Swiss francs (£760k) has been imposed on Mr Marin.”
Marin was one of seven FIFA officials arrested at Hotel Baur au Lac in Zurich in 2015
Marin, 86, was one of seven FIFA officials arrested at a Zurich hotel in May 2015 and following a six-week trial at a United States federal court, he was found guilty in December 2017 on six of the seven counts against him of money
laundering, wire fraud and conspiratorial racketeering.
He was sentenced in August 2018 to four years in prison, 13 months of which had already been served. He was also ordered to forfeit 3.3m US dollars (£2.6m) and was fined $1.2m (£950k).
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.