- Galatasaray - Real Madrid Preview: Los Blancos hunt La Decima14:43 | 17/09/2013
Carlo Ancelotti’s side begin their assault on another European crown with a potentially tricky trip to Turkey on Tuesday, though they will be without Xabi Alonso.
Real Madrid were dumped out of the Champions League by Borussia Dortmund in the semi-finals last season but will fancy their chances of lifting the trophy for a 10th time this term.
With Carlo Ancelotti now at the helm, Los Blancos have enjoyed a fruitful summer of recruitment, with Isco, Asier Illarramendi and Gareth Bale the club’s standout signings over the summer.
Madrid will have to do without midfielder Xabi Alonso, who remains on the sidelines with a broken foot, while Ancelotti has confirmed that Iker Casillas will start his first game of the season having been displaced by Diego Lopez in La Liga.
Galatasaray ended their 12-match winless streak against Spanish opposition when they played Madrid in the quarter-finals last season, as they recorded a 3-2 home victory that ultimately proved in vain as Jose Mourinho’s men progressed 5-3 on aggregate.
With Cristiano Ronaldo on a run of 21 goals in his previous 19 Champions League matches, the Turkish side face a tough challenge in securing a repeat success.
Yet Galatasaray do boast a fine recent record in Istanbul, losing only two of their last 14 home European matches.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.