- Gianni Infantino set to lead FIFA as president for next four years19:26 | 18/02/2019
Gianni Infantino is set to serve four more years as FIFA president, as the only candidate for election.
Gianni Infantino took over as FIFA president in 2016
FIFA says only Infantino had the required nomination letters from five of the 211 member federations when the deadline passed at midnight on Tuesday in Zurich.
Infantino must now pass eligibility and integrity checks for the election on June 5 in Paris.
The 48-year-old Swiss lawyer has been widely expected to win unopposed with support already pledged by most FIFA members.
Since being elected in February 2016, Infantino oversaw expanding the World Cup to 48 teams in 2026, and picking the United States, Canada and Mexico to host it.
He is completing the term of Sepp Blatter, who was banned from FIFA for financial irregularities with Michel Platini, Infantino’s former boss at UEFA.
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.