- Guardiola confirms interest in Thiago swoop10:27 | 12/07/2013
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has confirmed highly-rated Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara is his number one transfer target this summer.
Thiago came to the fore in Spain’s triumphant Under-21 European Championship campaign with several fine performances, capped by scoring a stunning hat-trick in the final against Italy.
His star turn in Israel, as well as the fact he is behind Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas in Barca’s pecking order, alerted several European clubs to his availability.
Manchester United were favourites to land his signature this summer although Guardiola’s revelation today may alter that.
When asked at a press conference at the Bayern training camp if he was interested in Thiago, the former Barca midfielder and coach said: “Yes.”
“I don’t know what’s going to happen. We have to wait. I know him very, very well. He is a super, super player. He can player in three, four or five positions.”
The pair have already worked together at the Nou Camp and Guardiola will be hoping he can persuade the 22-year-old to link up with him again.
Indeed, the 42-year-old’s determination to land his man is so strong, he refuses to name any other targets.
When asked about other transfers, Guardiola added: “It is either Thiago or nothing.”
According to Foxsports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.