- Hammers move fast to land Carroll09:49 | 19/06/2013
WEST HAM have smashed their transfer record to capture Andy Carroll in a deal worth £55million.
Carroll landed at Heathrow from a holiday in Las Vegas at 11am yesterday and was whisked away to a private hospital in Essex where he passed a medical.
Joint chairman David Gold tweeted: “We managed to bring Andy’s medical forward and I’m delighted he passed with flying colours.”
Carroll has agreed a six-year deal with an option for a seventh, worth £100,000 a week which could see him pocket a staggering £36m.
West Ham have also agreed to pay Liverpool a club-record £16m plus £3m in add-ons.
The Hammers moved fast after concerns that Newcastle director of football Joe Kinnear was about to hijack the deal.
Kinnear stated signing a striker was a priority and West Ham were aware Carroll was keen to head back to his old club.
The England ace, 24, spent last season on loan at Upton Park but suffered a heel injury towards the end of the campaign.
He had initially been due to have his medical later this week.
But a Hammers insider said: “The comments from Joe worried us.
“Andy had been keen on staying at Liverpool or going to a top-five club or home to Newcastle, where he has two kids. So we had to move fast.”
According to The Sun
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.