- Vietnam through to AFC U-19 quarterfinals in historic first20:55 | 23/10/2016
Vietnam has made it through to the quarterfinals of the 2016 AFC U-19 Championship for the first time in history after holding five-time champions Iraq in a goalless draw in their last Group B clash on October 20.
Ahead of the match, Vietnam stood second in the group with four points, three above the third-place team, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
A draw with Iraq would secure Vietnam a place in the quarterfinals regardless of the result of the matchup between the UAE and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
Given that fact, Vietnam fought bravely and cautiously from the start, allowing the Iraqi players to produce just three shots on the goal, despite the fact that they held the ball better.
The UAE seized the chance to advance when they coming from behind to beat the DPRK 3-1; however, that Vietnam tied 0-0 with Iraq turned their hopes into smoke.
With one win over the DPRK and two draws against the UAE and Iraq, Vietnam completed their group-stage campaign in second place overall with five points, thereby joining leaders Iraq as Group B representatives in the quarterfinal round.
Next up for Vietnam will be a quarterfinal clash with hosts Bahrain on October 23. If victorious, coach Hoang Anh Tuan and his players will not only make the semifinals but also secure a place in the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup, to be held in the Republic of Korea.
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.