- Lorenzo Sanz: Former Real Madrid president dies after contracting coronavirus10:42 | 23/03/2020
Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz died on Saturday after being taken to hospital with coronavirus.
Real Madrid won the Champions League twice when Lorenzo Sanz was president
Sanz, 76, was president at the Bernabeu from 1995-2000, a period in which Real won the Champions League twice.
“My father has just died,” wrote Sanz’s son Lorenzo Sanz Duran on Twitter.
“He did not deserve this end in this manner. One of the best, most courageous and hard working people I have seen in my life. His family and Real Madrid were his passion.”
Sanz signed players such as Roberto Carlos, Clarence Seedorf and Davor Suker during his time in charge of the 33-time Spanish champions,
He lost the 2000 presidential election to Florentino Perez, which sparked Real’s big-spending ‘Galatico’ era.
Sanz’s son Fernando, 46, played for Real Madrid from 1996-1999 before spending the final seven years of his career at Malaga.
Source – BBC News
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.