- Messi fraud case 'to be extended'09:34 | 19/06/2013
The tax authorities’ investigation into Barcelona forward Lionel Messi’s alleged fraud could include activity up until 2012.
The 25-year-old and his father Jorge Messi were last week the subject of a lawsuit filed by tax authorities for three allegations of crimes relating to public finance and income tax for the years 2007, 2008 and 2009.
EFE report that the investigation by the tax authorities for criminal and civil responsibility over the sale between 2006 and 2009 of the Argentine footballer’s image rights to third parties, may be extended through 2010, 2011 and 2012 once the current tax year has ended.
Until then, Messi and his father have the opportunity to pay any outstanding funds through supplementary declaration.
The lawsuit, which reportedly has Messi and his father accused of defrauding the state out of a total of €4m (£3.4m), is still waiting to be declared admissible by a court judge.
The public prosecutor alleges that Jorge Messi is responsible for the initialisation of the scheme, with AS reporting if he were to take full responsibility, the case against Lionel Messi would be archived.
According to Yahoo
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.