- Newcastle 0-2 Tottenham: Five talking points as Spurs victorious22:48 | 13/08/2017
Tottenham claimed a 2-0 win over 10-man Newcastle thanks to second-half goals from Dele Alli and Ben Davies at St James’ Park. From Jonjo Shelvey’s sending off to Kyle Walker-Peters’ impressive debut, here are five talking points from the game.
The second half was barely three minutes old when Shelvey trod on Alli’s ankle following an innocuous coming together in the middle of the pitch. Referee Andre Marriner, standing just a few yards away, did not hesitate to brandish the red card. “Is that the most stupid red card you’ve ever seen in your life?” asked Alan Smith in the Sky Sports commentary box.
It was the latest in a long line of controversies involving Shelvey and it raises serious questions about Rafael Benitez’s decision to hand him the captain’s armband. The hosts had largely nullified Spurs up until that point, but in the end they were fortunate to the margin of defeat wasn’t greater.
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.