- Neymar accused of brandishing sponsored underwear during Champions League loss14:38 | 21/04/2014
Barcelona winger, Neymar can’t seem to avoid controversy as the 22-year-old is now being accused of brandishing his underwear, a brand in which he sponsors, in Barcelona’s Champions League quarterfinals loss to Atletico Madrid several weeks ago.
According to Brazilian newspaper, Folha de Sao Paulo, Neymar raised his shirt to reveal the elastic band with the sponsors name ‘Lupo’ at least five times throughout the match, which they feel is directly linked with the new deal the two parties signed last month and was the idea of Neymar’s father as a means of “ambush marketing.”
However, the company that handles Neymar’s Marketing, NR Sports has denied to Marca, that the brandishing of the underwear was anything more than a “spontaneous” act that “young people” do.
“The brand exposure was spontaneous – a natural, unforced gesture. It’s something young people do.”
ESPN Brazil is also reporting that UEFA will not be opening an investigation into the matter, which they have put strict regulations on after Nicklas Bendtner famously flashed his underwear advertising betting site Paddy Power at the 2012 Euros.
Bendtner was fined €100,000 for the act.
According to insidespanishfootball
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.