- Superb win over Czech Republic rekindles Turkey’s hopes for final 1623:45 | 22/06/2016
Turkey beat Czech Republic 2-0 in their last Group D clash early on June 22, keeping alive hopes to reach the Euro 2016 final 16.
The defeat eliminated the Czech Republic, who had already suffered at Turkish hands in a previous Euro finals.
Eighteen year-old Emre Mor burst down the right side of the field after 10 minutes and passed the ball to Burak Yılmaz for a powerful shot into the corner.
Goalkeeper Volkan Babacan worked hard to block two consecutive strikes by Kaderabek in the 24th minutes and Jaroslav Plasil 14 minutes later.
The Czech Republic pressed forward in the second half seeking an equaliser but Turkey dealt a big blow on their efforts with a second goal at the 65 minute mark.
Selcuk Inan made use of a free-kick which Mehmet Topal managed to make a head-pass to Tufan who smashed the tight angle shot past Petr Cech.
The three points revived Turkey’s hopes to reach the knockout stage, at least until the final round of group matches early tomorrow.
The three points ensured that Turkey could still reach the final 16, at least until the final round of group matches on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the bitter loss officially knocked the Czech Republic out of the tournament as Group D bottom-place team with just one point after four matches.
Croatia came from behind to beat Spain 2-1 in another group matchup at the same time, thus making it through to the final 16 as Group D leaders with seven points. Spain are also through as the runners-up.
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.