- Tevez resigned to World Cup snub with Argentina10:53 | 18/12/2013
The Juventus striker feels his goals are not enough to convince national coach Alejandro Sabella to take him to next year’s tournament in Brazil
Juventus striker Carlos Tevez has given up hope of going to the World Cup with Argentina despite his impressive club form.
The 29-year-old, who has yet to feature for the Albiceleste under national coach Alejandro Sabella, has 11 goals in all competitions for Serie A champions Juventus, including a hat-trick in their 4-0 win over Sassuolo on Sunday.
Despite being the league’s second-highest goalscorer behind Fiorentina’s Giuseppe Rossi, Tevez does not expect to make a return to international football, where his last and 62nd appearance for his country came against Uruguay in the Copa America quarter-finals, while Sergio Batista was still in charge in 2011.
“I don’t think my goals can convince Sabella to take me to the World Cup,” he told Tuttosport.
Tevez is determined to help Juventus secure a third straight title and win the top goalscorer award in his first season in Italy.
“I want to win the Scudetto with Juve, so I would also like to win the Capocannoniere crown,” he added.
“I look to just do my best – sometimes I am able to do that, others I am not.
“The season is not over and we’ll look to win every trophy available to us.”
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.