- The 10 most glorious David Beckham moments13:29 | 17/05/2013
David Beckham’s career, in retrospect, feels like one heavily-publicised moment after another. And understandably so, for one of England’s most iconic footballers.
Granted, it has been for both good and bad reasons. But if you’re more of a Beckham cynic, we have another piece to mark his retirement from the sport, listing the most famous instances of his halo slipping.
Here, however, we wish to recognise the very best of David Beckham. And when he was good, he was exceptional:
1) MAKING HIMSELF KNOWN – Beckham made his Champions League bow for Manchester United against Galatasaray. It was a sombre occasion as a 4-0 win was not enough to secure progress, but Becks made it a personal milestone by getting on the scoresheet.
2) FROM INSIDE HIS OWN HALF – When he found the back of the Wimbledon net from behind the halfway line in 1996, that was when this star was well and truly born.
3) THE BETTER PART OF BECKHAM’S 1998 WORLD CUP – Remembered more for his kick on Diego Simeone, David did have some good memories from France – such as this free-kick against Colombia.
4) WINNING THE TREBLE – Sir Alex Ferguson retired as a manager only last week, but Fergie’s greatest moment was also a big one for Becks in 1999.
5) THE POWER COUPLE – Beckham’s relationship with the Spice Girls’ Victoria ruled the gossip pages. After a marriage and four children, the £125 million+ family continue to do just that.
6) FROM VILLAIN TO HERO – Beckham’s amazing last-gasp equaliser against Greece sent England to the 2002 World Cup. It spawned a legendary celebration and tons of commentary soundbites. It also completed his redemption after the 1998 red card.
7) THE REAL THING – Beckham’s move to Real Madrid in 2003 was a huge deal, and his formal unveiling was fittingly spectacular.
8) BECKHAM THE CENTURION – Though very much a squad utility player for England come 2008, the 100-cap milestone led to a classy presentation at Wembley before a win against the USA and certified Becks as one of the all-time Three Lions greats.
9) THE AMERICAN DREAM – Beckham’s switch to MLS side LA Galaxy appeared to be a marriage of convenience, but once again his stint ended in success as the West Coast side claimed national honours in his swan song.
10) A CHARITABLE END – Nobody criticised his final choice of club when news broke that Beckham’s entire Paris Saint-Germain salary would head straight to charity. He calls it a day having ended four stints with four permanent clubs with league title success.
According to Yahoo
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.