- There's not a €50m difference between Bale & Ozil, says Lehmann07:37 | 24/09/2013
The 43-year-old admits Arsenal paid too much for the Germany international but says the market was influenced by Real Madrid ‘losing the plot’ over their move for the Welshman.
Former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann insists there is not a €50 million difference between Mesut Ozil and Gareth Bale.
The Wales international’s world-record £86m move from Tottenham in the summer transfer window paved the way for Ozil’s switch to Arsene Wenger’s side in a £42m deal.
Lehmann believes Arsenal’s acquisition of the German midfielder represents better value and says the Spanish club’s inflated prices dictate the high transfer fees paid elsewhere.
“In all honesty, Arsenal paid too much for Mesut Ozil, but that’s because Gareth Bale went to Real Madrid for so much more money. Nobody is worth that much,” Lehmann told Spox.
“The Ozil deal was much better. I don’t see a €50m difference between the two players. That’s how that market works when a club like Real Madrid loses the plot.”
Ozil already has four assists in the Premier League this season, and had a hand in all three of Arsenal’s goals against Stoke as the Gunners climbed to the top of the table.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.