- Van Gaal: I rejected Tottenham offer16:27 | 20/01/2014
The Netherlands head coach says he was contacted by Spurs in late 2013 and admits managing in the Premier League interests him
Netherlands head coach Louis van Gaal has confirmed he was approached by Tottenham following Andre Villas-Boas’ sacking.
The 62-year-old, along with Guus Hiddink and Fabio Capello, was contacted initially by Spurs before Tim Sherwood was handed the reins on a full-time basis.
“Everybody knows it so I can admit it,” Van Gaal told Sky Sports News. “I don’t do things in a double function [holding two jobs at the same time].
“You have to give an example to your players that they have to focus on the national team and that is my ambition also.
“I have refused [the Tottenham job] but maybe there will come another chance. That is the difficulty with coaching. When you are free, then maybe there are no vacancies.”
Van Gaal, though, admits working in the Premier League interests him but not until after the World Cup.
“When you are working, then there are vacancies. It is always difficult. After the World Cup I shall retire or, if there is a Premier League club, I shall think about it,” he said.
“I want to work in the Premier League because that is the league I have not worked in yet.
“I want to coach here in the Premier League because I think Spain, Germany and England are the strongest competitions. That is an ambition and who knows.”
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.