- Vietnam defeat Myanmar in start to AFF Suzuki Cup campaign16:17 | 22/11/2016
Vietnam made a perfect start to their AFF Suzuki Cup 2016 campaign by defeating hosts Myanmar 2-1 in their Group B opener on November 20. Two goals were from Van Quyet and Cong Vinh in two halves. This was a sweet start to Vietnam in this tournament.
Vietnam dominated the opening minutes with a number of attacks on the opponents’ side; however, Myanmar’s solid defence prevented the team donning the white jerseys from claiming an early opener.
The deadlock was broken after 24 minutes when Xuan Truong’s through ball put Van Quyet in a face-to-face with goalkeeper Zin Phyo, to which the number 10 striker made sure to make no mistake, curling a shot into the far bottom corner.
Two minutes later, Niang Soe managed a shot into the Vietnamese box in a rare offensive situation created by Myanmar, but caused no threat to Nguyen Manh’s goal.
The second half took place in a more interesting fashion thanks to the equalising efforts from the home side.
Three minutes after the hour mark, Cong Vinh’s assist gifted Van Quyet the chance to double the match tally, but goalie Zin Phyo brilliantly blocked Quyet’s finish saving Myanmar from conceding a second goal.
Aung Thu tied up the game for Myanmar with a 73rd-minute equaliser, only to see his efforts made in vain after striker Cong Vinh beat Zin Phyo seven minutes later to seal a narrow 2-1 win for Vietnam.
In another group match earlier, Malaysia came from behind to beat Cambodia with a score of 3-2.
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.