- Vietnam wins AFF Women Championship 201200:08 | 28/10/2012
Vietnam defeated Myanmar at the penalty shoot-out to become the champion of the AFF Women Championship 2012, the competition in women’s football of nations in Southeast Asia, on Saturday evening.
Vietnam (in the red uniform) wins Myanmar at the final of the AFF Women Championship 2012 (Photo: SGGP)
As the two teams could not score any goal in the first and second half of the final and extra time also, they entered the penalty shoot-out, which Vietnam won Myanmar 4-3.
Four Vietnamese players Kim Hong, Thi Huong, Minh Nguyet and Thanh Huong successfully shot the ball into the net of Myanmar.
Meanwhile, Myanmar failed at the fourth and fifth shots as Khin Moe Wei kicked the ball against the goalpost and Marlar Tun could not beat goalkeeper Kieu Trinh of Vietnam.
The Vietnam Football Federation and the Vietnam Export Import Bank have decided to award the Vietnamese team VND1 billion (US$48,000). Le Hung Dung, chairman of the bank, rewarded goalkeeper Kieu Trinh with VND50 million.
In the competition for the third place, Thailand won Laos at 14-1 to obtain the bronze medal.
Follow Saigon Giai Phong
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.