- World Cup increase to 48 teams in 2022 is 50/50, says FIFA11:02 | 11/04/2019
The chances of FIFA increasing the number of teams at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar from 32 to 48 are 50/50, president Gianni Infantino said on Wednesday.
Gianni Infantino says a 48 team World Cup would mean “more development and more passion for everyone”
Infantino, who was in Brazil for a meeting of the South American Football Confederation, told delegates he was working to ensure the increase for the Qatar tournament, which would mean a guaranteed two extra places for South American sides.
“We are working to see if we can get 48 teams in the 2022 World Cup because more participation means more development and more passion for everyone,” he said.
“We’ll see by June whether it is possible or not. (It’s) 50/50. What is 100 per cent is that the 2022 World Cup is going to be spectacular and a total success.”
A final decision on the number of teams for the 2022 World Cup will be taken at the FIFA Congress in Paris on June 5.
FIFA chose to host the 2022 World Cup for 32 teams in Qatar, although Infantino has sounded out neighbours over their willingness to host some matches in an expanded tournament.
FIFA has already agreed to increase the number of teams to 48 for the 2026 tournament being co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico but is keen to expand quicker than planned.
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.