- Barcelona handed Valdes injury blow16:57 | 20/11/2013
The goalkeeper suffered a calf injury during Spain’s 1-0 defeat to South Africa, having come on as a substitute, and could now miss key games for his club.
Barcelona have been handed an injury blow following the news that goalkeeper Victor Valdes could miss up to four weeks of action.
The 31-year-old replaced Iker Casillas at half-time during Spain’s 1-0 defeat to South Africa on Tuesday night but was then carried from the field on 75 minutes after suffering what appeared to be a torn calf muscle.
Valdes – who is set to leave Camp Nou on a free transfer at the end of the current season after opting not to extend his current deal – will undergo a scan in Barcelona on Wednesday.
After the game, the Spanish Football Federation confirmed news of the keepers’ impending absence, with doctor Oscar Celada stating: “If the injury is confirmed, he will have to be out for several weeks.”
Vicente del Bosque hit out at his Spain side on the back of the defeat in Johannesburg – which came in same city in which they lifted the World Cup back in 2010.
The loss comes after la Roja scraped past Equatorial Guinea with a 2-1 win last week.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.