- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing on pitch16:03 | 20/05/2019
A 31-year-old referee collapsed during a Bolivian league match high up in the Andes and died after being taken to the hospital.
Referee Victor Hugo Hurtado was surrounded by players and team doctors after collapsing on the pitch but later died in hospital. AP
The match between the Always Ready and Oriente Petrolero clubs was played at Municipal Stadium in El Alto, which sits about 3,900 meters (12,795 feet) above sea level.
The game was at the 47th minute when referee Victor Hugo Hurtado toppled backward and collapsed on the pitch. Players and team doctors rushed to his side and after a few minutes Hurtado was put in an ambulance and driven away.
Always Ready team doctor Eric Kosziner told reporters later that the referee suffered a heart attack on the field and then a second, fatal attack as he arrived at the hospital.
Source – ESPN
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.