- Declan Rice to receive first England call-up for Euro 2020 Qualifiers18:41 | 13/03/2019
Declan Rice will be called up to the England squad for the first time for the upcoming Euro 2020 Qualifiers, Sky Sports News understands.
Declan Rice looks set to receive his first England call-up
Rice is expected to be named in Gareth Southgate’s squad on Wednesday for England’s games against the Czech Republic and Montenegro later this month.
The West Ham midfielder decided in February that his international future lies with England, even though he has Irish grandparents and has already received three Republic of Ireland caps at senior level.
On Tuesday afternoon, Rice was named Ireland’s Young Player of the Yearand despite only recently receiving FIFA clearance to switch his international allegiance, Southgate has decided to select the 20-year-old at the first opportunity.
It is also understood Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton is set for an England recall. He was on Southgate’s standby list for the World Cup in Russia after recovering from a shoulder injury but hasn’t featured for his country in nearly two years.
Tom Heaton’s last cap for England came in a 3-2 defeat to France in June 2017
However, Heaton’s recall won’t affect Jordan Pickford, who retains the England manager’s full confidence despite a dip in form for Everton, and he is expected to continue in goal.
England face the Czech Republic at home on March 22 before an away trip to Montenegro three days later as they begin their campaign to qualify for Euro 2020, of which the semi-finals and final are at Wembley.
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.