- Flamengo honour academy-fire victims in first match since training ground tragedy20:30 | 15/02/2019
Brazilian club Flamengo played their first match since a fire broke out in their training ground and killed 10 academy players on Feb. 8.
Flamengo supporters hold up a poster in honour of the 10 youth academy players that died in a dormitory fire / Getty Images
Nearly 30,000 fans, many with white balloons, banners and flags, attended the state championship match against rival Fluminense.
The game was initially scheduled for Saturday, only hours after the deadly incident, but was cancelled after the tragedy.
Flamengo supporters sang a song to honour the dead at 10 minutes of play.
Survivor Cauan Emanuel, who was released from hospital this week, was filmed crying in the tribunes of the Maracana, sided by family members and Flamengo fans.
The victims were between 14 and 16 years old. Police are still investigating what caused the fire.
Fluminense won the match 1-0 with a goal from Luciano in second-half stoppage time.
Source – ESPN
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.