- Iker Casillas withdraws application to be Spanish football president15:54 | 16/06/2020
Spain’s World Cup-winning captain Iker Casillas has withdrawn his application for the presidency of the Spanish Football Federation.
Iker Casillas has been a part of Porto’s coaching staff during his recovery from a heart attack
The former Real Madrid goalkeeper said he was reconsidering his candidacy because of the “exceptional social, economic and health situation that our country is suffering”.
More than 27,000 people with Covid-19 have died in Spain since the outbreak.
“This makes the elections take a back seat,” the 39-year-old said on Twitter.
Casillas has not yet officially retired but he has not played for current club Porto since April 2019, after he had a heart attack during training.
He was given a role on the club’s coaching staff in July 2019.
Casillas’ withdrawal means incumbent Luis Rubiales is set to be re-elected unopposed in August with a four-year mandate.
Source – BBC News
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.