- Italian referee banned for head-butting goalkeeper15:01 | 12/02/2020
An Italian soccer referee has been banned for one year after he lost his cool and head-butted a goalkeeper he had sent off during a minor league game earlier this month, ANSA news agency reported on Tuesday.
The office of the Macerata police chief said the Martinello’s ban was fully warranted as he had failed to set an example for youngsters. Ian Walton/Getty Images
In a match between Borgo Mogliano and Montottone in Macerata on Feb. 1, the referee Antonio Martiniello had given Borgo Mogliano’s goalkeeper Matteo Ciccioli his marching orders as the hosts won 3-1.
The pair faced off outside the changing room after the game as the goalkeeper sought an explanation for the dismissal. The referee head-butted Ciccioli, who was taken to hospital to treat his injuries.
Martiniello’s ban will not only prevent him from officiating games for the next year but also from entering the facilities of teams in the top three tiers of Italian soccer, minor and amateur leagues, and matches involving the Italy national team.
The office of the Macerata police chief said the ban was fully warranted as Martiniello had failed to set an example for youngsters.
Source – ESPN
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.