- Late Williams own goal sees Liverpool youngsters through against Shrewsbury11:11 | 05/02/2020
A late Ro-Shaun Williams own goal saw Liverpool’s young side through to the fifth round of the FA Cup with a 1-0 win over Shrewsbury.
Photo by Getty Images
The centre half nodded it into his own net in the 75th minute.
Shrewsbury thought they had taken the lead just before the hour mark when Shaun Whalley got the ball in the net – but VAR intervened to rule it out for offside.
With U23s manager Neil Critchley in charge in the absence of Jurgen Klopp, the Liverpool starting line-up had an average age of 19 years and 102 days – their youngest-ever line-up to start a match in all competitions, with no recognised first-teamers on the bench either due to the scheduled Premier League winter break.
“I think whatever team Liverpool puts out we’ll give everything we’ve got and leave everything on that pitch,” said right-back Neco Williams afterwards.
The Reds now head to Chelsea in the next round.
Source – Eurosport.com
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.