- Lionel Scaloni made permanent Argentina boss for World Cup qualfiers14:22 | 01/08/2019
Argentina have put Lionel Scaloni in permanent charge of the national team for the 2022 Qatar World Cup qualifiers.
Lionel Scaloni was made interim head coach after Jorge Sampaoli was sacked
Scaloni, who was promoted from assistant to interim head coach after the sacking of Jorge Sampaoli following the 2018 Russia World Cup, led Argentina to a third-placed finish at this summer’s Copa America.
They lost in the semi-final to eventual champions – and hosts – Brazil 2-0.
The executive committee of Argentina’s soccer association announced Tuesday evening that the 41-year-old Scaloni will remain as coach but did not provide more details.
“The executive committee of the AFA decided to give continuity during the next qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar that will begin next year, to the selection project headed by Lionel Scaloni,” an AFA statement said.
Scaloni, a former player for Argentina, had no previous experience as a coach before taking on the interim role. He was a member of the national team’s coaching staff for their disappointing World Cup campaign in Russia.
Argentina were eliminated by eventual champion France in the last 16 after poor performances in the group stages.
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.