- Liverpool beat Manchester City to win first FA Youth Cup title in 12 years12:23 | 26/04/2019
Liverpool won the FA Youth Cup final for the first time in 12 years with a penalty shootout victory over Manchester City.
Liverpool needed a shootout to beat Manchester City in the FA Youth Cup final. Photo by Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images
The Reds were heading for a 1-0 defeat at City’s Academy Stadium with just four minutes of normal time remaining when Bobby Duncan, the cousin of Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard, equalised.
The 18-year-old, who left City’s Academy for Merseyside last year, hit a swerving 25-yard strike that deceived City goalkeeper Louis Moulden and slipped through his fingers.
Both sides pushed for a winner but with no more goals in extra-time, the game headed to a shootout and City youngster Cole Palmer was the only player to miss, striking his spot kick against the bar.
With first team boss Pep Guardiola watching from the stands, City were the better side in the first half of a youthful version of the rivalry between the two clubs, who are battling for the Premier League title.
City had lost the final in three of the past four years but were ahead just before half-time when a cross from former Barcelona winger Adrian Bernabe was turned in at the nearpost by Nabil Touaizi.
But Liverpool fought back in the second half deserved their equaliser from Duncan and it was his strike partner Paul Glatzel that hit the winning penalty to secure a 5-3 shootout victory.
Source – ESPN
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.