- Liverpool set to become first football club to break €100m-profit barrier thanks to Champions League run and sale of Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona09:23 | 22/01/2019
Liverpool could be set to break the world record for pre-tax profits made by a football club, as they look set to break the €100million (£88.2m) mark.
The Reds have enjoyed success on the pitch this season and currently sit top of the Premier League, four points clear of title rivals Manchester City.
Their current success on the pitch looks set to be matched by figures off of it, with a record-breaking profit forecast by those clued up on the financial side of the game.
Liverpool look set to become the first football club to post a net profit of more than €100m
Helping them to that number was their run to the Champions League final last season
According to Inside World Football, the run to last season’s Champions League final, paired with the sale of Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona for a reported £145m, will help boost the club’s profits in their accounts for the 2017-18 season, which will be submitted to Company House in early March.
The Merseyside outfit earned a reported €81.3m (£71.7m) from their run to Kiev last year, and having not participated in the competition the year previous, that will represent huge growth.
Leicester City currently hold the Premier League record for pre-tax profits thanks to their season in Europe’s top competition.
The sale of Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona will also be a factor when posting their profit
They posted a record-breaking figure of £92.5m for the 2016-17 season after reaching the quarter-final.
However, UEFA appear to already let slip that the figure will be beaten by the current Premier League leaders.
In their Club Licensing Benchmarking Report for the financial year 2017, UEFA focused on the Foxes’ record profit, but mentioned in the same sentence that Liverpool are set to break it in the coming year.
Source – Daily Mail
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.