- Messi: Berbatov to Barcelona is impossible10:39 | 22/11/2013
The Argentine, who recently won a record third Golden Shoe for most goals in Europe last season, believes there is no chance of the Bulgaria star arriving at Camp Nou.
Barcelona striker Lionel Messi says it would be “impossible” for Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov to join the club.
Recent reports have speculated that the 32-year-old Bulgaria international could be on his way to Camp Nou as coach Gerardo Martino looks for cover following Messi’s hamstring tear that is expected to keep him out for the next eight weeks.
However, the Argentine believes that although the attacker is a good player and has experience the move is unlikely to materialise.
“I haven’t heard the rumour that Berbatov is linked to Barcelona. In fact he is a good player, he has experience in a big team,” Messi told TV7.
“It’s not my business to interfere with the club’s transfer decisions but I think it’s impossible for Dimitar to join Barcelona.”
Berbatov, who is out of contract at the end of the season, would be a cheaper alternative to other names that have been linked with a switch to the Catalan club, such as Oscar Cardozo and Sergio Aguero.
The Fulham striker has one goal in 10 Premier League appearances this season.
Martino has said he has faith in current forwards Alexis Sanchez and Neymar, but he would like additional cover.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.