- Netherlands appoint Frank de Boer as head coach to replace Ronald Koeman16:01 | 24/09/2020
Frank de Boer, who won 112 caps and played at two World Cups for the Netherlands, has been appointed his country’s national team coach.
Frank de Boer was at Atlanta United before leaving in July after 18 months in charge
The 50-year-old replaces Ronald Koeman, who left last month to take over as Barcelona head coach, and has signed a two-year contract up to the 2022 World Cup.
Former defender De Boer, who also played for Barcelona and Ajax, won a record four successive Dutch league titles as coach of Ajax between 2011 and 2014.
But three subsequent jobs outside the Netherlands proved disappointing. He was fired by Inter Milan after 85 days in charge in 2016 and the next year lasted 10 weeks at Crystal Palace.
His last position was at Atlanta United in Major League Soccer where he led the club to cup success before leaving in July after 18 months in charge.
Ronald Koeman left the Netherlands to become the new head coach of Barcelona
De Boer will be thrust quickly into his new job with a friendly against Mexico and two Nations League games early next month. The Netherlands host the Mexicans in Amsterdam on October 7 before travelling to Bosnia on October 11 and Italy on October 14.
Source – Sky Sports
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.