- Premier League - United boss Moyes axes Fergie's number two Phelan11:02 | 25/05/2013
Manchester United assistant manager Mike Phelan have left the Premier League champions as new manager David Moyes prepares to make his own coaching appointments.
Former United player Phelan is departing along with goalkeeping coach Eric Steele ahead of the arrival of Moyes, who takes over from the retired Alex Ferguson on July 1.
“I would like to put on record the club’s thanks for everything Mike and Eric have done,” Moyes said in a statement released by United.
“I will be looking to appoint my own members of coaching staff at some point in the future, however, I’d like to take this opportunity to give them both our best wishes for their future careers.”
Phelan was promoted by Ferguson to the role of assistant manager in 2008 having served as first-team coach since 2001. Steele joined United as first-team goalkeeping coach in 2008.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said: “I’d like to thank Eric and Mick for the enormous contributions they have made to the success of Manchester United in their time here. Their professionalism, ability and diligence have been a credit to them.
“They are top class football men and everyone here wishes them well for long and successful careers in the game.”
According to Yahoo
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.