- Quick-fire goals against Levante take Atletico up to third14:28 | 05/01/2020
Atletico Madrid made it three La Liga wins in a row by beating Levante 2-1 at home on Saturday to climb up to third in the standings following an action-packed game in which three goals were scored in the space of five minutes.
Defender Felipe was the hero of Atletico’s 2-1 win over Levante. EPA/DAVID FERNANDEZ
Argentine forward Angel Correa gave the home side the lead in the 13th minute after Kieran Trippier took the Levante defence by surprise by volleying a chipped pass from Thomas Partey towards Correa.
The visitors responded three minutes later with a volley of their own from striker Roger Marti which flummoxed Atleti keeper Jan Oblak at his near post but Diego Simeone’s side regained the lead 60 seconds later with a header from defender Felipe.
Atleti controlled most of the second half but ceded two chances to Enis Bardhi who was denied on both occasions by superb saves from Oblak, the latter of which came deep in stoppage time.
The victory took Atletico onto 35 points after 19 games, level with fourth-placed Sevilla who were held 1-1 at home to Athletic Bilbao on Friday. Real Madrid lead the standings with 40 points.
Source – ESPN
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.