- Rio testimonial details confirmed08:42 | 04/06/2013
Manchester United will face Sevilla at Old Trafford on Friday, 9 August in Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial match.
The 34-year-old, who recently penned a one-year contract extension, will start his 12th season at the club with a showpiece match against the La Liga side ahead of the Reds’ Community Shield clash with Wigan Athletic.
“This is going to be a big night for me as well as an emotional one,” said Rio. “I cannot believe where those ten years have gone and I am lucky to have spent them here at Manchester United.
“This club is unique in every way, the history and drive of the place is unbelievable, it spurs everyone to succeed. The fans are the best in the world, their commitment is amazing and I have appreciated their support throughout my career. I hope they enjoy the night as much as I intend to.”
Having signed Ferdinand from Leeds in 2002 and overseen the defender’s entire Old Trafford career to date, Sir Alex Ferguson said: “It is great that the club are granting Rio a testimonial for his services to the club.
“He is one of the best central defenders this club has seen. Rio has a natural ability to read the game and I said last month that I believed that this season has been the best of his Manchester United career. It will be a fantastic night for him and the fans, but it also gets next season’s campaign off to a great start.”
According to Manutd
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.