- Ronaldo not in Eusebio's league, claims Figo10:52 | 13/09/2013
Real Madrid legend Luis Figo has claimed it is “odious” to suggest that Cristiano Ronaldo has surpassed Eusebio as Portugal’s greatest ever player.
The 28-year-old recently leap-frogged the Benfica great to become his country’s second most prolific goalscorer, with his hat-trick against Northern Ireland on Friday taking him to 43 international goals.
Debate has since raged over whether the current Blancos star could be considered the greatest Portuguese player of all time but Figo has refuted the suggestions, insisting Eusebio is in a league of his own.
“It is an odious comparison,” he told Marca. “I don’t think Eusebio can be compared with anyone, for me he is king.
“It is very subjective to distinguish who is the best between Eusebio, Cristiano Ronaldo, Luis Figo, Diego Maradona or whoever because everyone has their own opinion.”
Ronaldo is four goals away from earning the title of his country’s most prolific goalscorer of all time, with Pauleta sitting top with 47 goals.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.