- Roo wants to go Phelan lifts lid on United saga08:48 | 03/07/2013
That was the sensational claim last night from Alex Ferguson’s trusted Manchester United assistant Mike Phelan, who has blown the lid off the Rooney saga.
Ferguson claimed England striker Rooney had asked to leave the club for a second time when he dropped him at the end of last season.
And Phelan, Fergie’s former No 2, said: “Wayne is at the greatest club you can be at.
“Why would you want to jeopardise that, unless you want a fresh challenge and you feel that challenge isn’t being met at Manchester United.”
SunSport revealed on Sunday that Rooney, 27, has already held one set of talks with new United boss David Moyes — his old gaffer at Everton.
Those talks will continue today but Phelan, who left his role as assistant manager at Old Trafford last month, believes both parties could agree a parting of the ways is for the best.
He added: “Somewhere down the line there will be words said, there will be meetings. They’ll see if it’s still alive and worth going for or they’ll call time on it.”
Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain are all watching the situation closely and waiting with £25million bids.
According to The Sun
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.