- Seconds from disaster: Manchester United caught up in German airport near-miss drama11:36 | 27/11/2013
MANCHESTER UNITED were involved in a terrifying near-miss as their plane attempted to land in Germany yesterday.
United’s Monarch Airbus 321 charter flight had to abort its landing at Cologne Airport just 400 metres from touchdown when their pilot spotted another plane on the runway.
He pulled the plane up sharply and then circled the airport before being able to land safely 10 minutes later with the players then proceeding to their hotels ahead of tonight’s Champions League clash with Bayer Leverkusen.
An eye-witness said: “It was quite frightening.
We were coming into land when we had to pull up suddenly because it appears there was a plane on the runway.
“The captain came on the intercom to apologise then we landed safely.”
Rio Ferdinand tweeted: “Landed in Germany… just…. I’ve only just recovered after that choppy landing.”
United’s scare came a day after the death of Bill Foulkes.
He survived the Munich air tragedy which killed 23 passengers, including eight players, as United returned home from a European Cup tie in Belgrade in 1958.
According to Dailystar
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.