- Tests confirm thigh bruise for Messi10:50 | 23/08/2013
The Argentine is a doubt for this weekend’s clash with Malaga after limping out of the 1-1 Supercopa first-leg draw with Atletico Madrid.
Barcelona have confirmed that Lionel Messi has suffered bruising to his left thigh, leaving him doubtful for Sunday’s La Liga meeting with Malaga.
The Argentine star was withdrawn at half-time in Wednesday’s Supercopa first leg with Atletico Madrid after complaining of discomfort during the opening 45 minutes.
Tests conducted by the club’s medical staff have since confirmed a hematoma affecting Messi’s left thigh muscle, with the Catalans confirming via their official website that the 26-year-old is a doubt for this weekend’s clash with Bernd Schuster’s side.
The news marred a spirited fightback from Barcelona in Wednesday’s game at Vicente Calderon, in which Neymar headed home his first competitive goal for Gerardo Martino’s side.
Martino has already made it clear that Messi will need to be rested at specific points during the 2013-14 campaign in order to avoid a repeat of the leg injury which blighted the end of last season for the Argentina international.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.