- Takeshia Okada likely to coach Vietnam team15:05 | 06/05/2014
The Vietnam Football Federation (VFF) is appraising the profile of Takeshia Okada, who coached Japan at World Cup 1998 and 2000.
Okada has been introduced by the Japan Football Association (JFA) to the vacancy for chief coach of the Vietnam national football squad after Hoang Van Phuc resigned in March 2013.
Okada had gained coaching experience in Japan for 11 years, including at Consadole Sapporo which play in the J.League Division 2.
At World Cup 2010 he led Japan to the knock-out round of eight teams, and Japan were only outplayed from the quarter-finals by Paraguay after a penalty shootout.
He also led Hangzhou Greentown Club in the Chinese Super League over 2012-2013.
Okada is one of eligible candidates VFF is considering for the position. Among the candidates were former French midfielder Marcel Desailly and former Malaysian coach Datuk Rajagopal.
According to VFF President Le Hung Dung, selecting a Japanese coach was given the green light at the recent VFF Congress
VFF General Secretary Le Hoai Anh said a new chief coach of the national team will be announced on May 15.
According to VOV
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.