- World Cup play-off draw: Portugal meet Sweden, France face Ukraine09:48 | 22/10/2013
Cristiano Ronaldo and his team-mates will have to deal with Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s side, while les Bleus take on the Euro 2012 co-hosts.
Either Cristiano Ronaldo or Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not be involved in next year’s World Cup after the play-off draw pitted Portugal against Sweden.
The sides have met 15 times up to date, with the Scandinavians winning six, drawing six and losing three times.
Elsewhere, France will meet Euro 2012 co-hosts Ukraine as they fight for one place at next summer’s tournament.
Didier Deschamps’ men have taken on the Ukrainians on seven occasions up till date, with les Bleus emerging victorious four times and drawing the remaining three encounters.
However, Deschamps urged caution ahead of their clash with the Eastern Europeans.
“Portugal and Croatia are nations with experience, but it will not be easy against a team who are undefeated in their last seven matches and concede very few goals,” he said.
“Having the second leg at home is a good thing for us. These four days will decide our future. We need a lot of confidence but also a lot of respect for the Ukrainian team.”
Finally, Euro 2004 winners Greece take on Romania, while surprise package Iceland face Croatia.
The first legs will be played on November 15, with the returns scheduled to take place four days later on the 19th.
According to Goal
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.