- U21 International Football: South Korea beats Hoang Anh Gia Lai 1-012:21 | 22/11/2015
South Korea secured a win in their first match of the Thanh Nien Newspaper Under-21 International Football Championships, beating Hoang Anh Gia Lai 1-0 on Friday.
Football Championships match on November 20.
South Korea played with a U-19 team that will compete at next year’s U19 Asian Football Championships.
Both teams impressed with exciting attacks from the very beginning at Ho Chi Minh City’s Thong Nhat Stadium with more than 20,000 spectators and 250 reporters.
Kim Jeonghwan scored the match’s only goal for South Korea with a swift attack in the 24th minute from a narrow corner that defeated Hoang Anh Gia Lai’s goalkeeper Van Tien.
Hoang Anh Gia Lai missed a chance to level the score after Kim Seokjin apparently played the ball with his hand but referee Hadimin Shahbuddin did not award Hoang Anh a penalty.
The Vietnamese team organized many attacks but they were unable to score a goal.
Coach Nguyen Quoc Tuan said his players had performed well except for finishing shots.
“I’d like to congratulate South Korea on their victory… South Korea U19 players made the best of their chances,” he said after the match.
Tuan said he was pleased in particular with midfielder Tuan Anh as he has recovered fully from a previous injury.
“We will have to defeat Myanmar for a ticket to the semis,” he said.
Earlier on the same day, Thailand was held by Singapore with a 2-2 draw.
Portrait of famous people
- Le Huynh Duc is former captain of Vietnamese national Football team. He is currently coaching SHB Ðà Nẵng.
- Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season.
- Striker Le Cong Vinh is playing for SLNA
- Lionel Messi became the best scorer in a year with 91 goals in 2012.